Serrari Group

Expense Ratio Rule for Business Success and Growth

Managing business expenses effectively is essential for maintaining a healthy business and maintaining growth. In this article, we will delve into the intricacies of assigning budget percentages, optimizing expenses, and industry-specific benchmarks and best practices for expense management.

Understanding the Expense Ratio Rule

The Expense Ratio Rule is based on the concept of allocating a certain percentage of revenue to different expense categories. While the specific percentages may vary depending on industry, business type, and other factors, the core principle remains the same: maintaining a healthy balance between expenses and revenue. By following this rule, businesses can make informed decisions about resource allocation and financial planning.

Factors To Consider When Determining Expense Ratio Allocation

  • The Profit First Methodology

The Profit First methodology, developed by small business finance expert Mike Michalowicz, emphasizes allocating income and prioritizing profit before expenses. Michalowicz recommends maintaining separate bank accounts for income, profit, owner compensation, taxes, and operating expenses. It also specifies that business operating expenses should be no more than a ‘magic number’ 30% of total revenue. 

  • Customizing Budget Categories

Business budgeting is not a one-size-fits-all approach. Factors such as the age of the company or the type of business necessitate different budget categories. Assigning percentages to these categories helps set financial goals and plan for future needs.

  • Analyzing Financial Goals

While increased revenue is an obvious financial goal, businesses may also strive for better profit margins, decreased costs, and improved cash flow. Assigning percentages to these various categories enables year-over-year comparisons and tracking progress towards these goals.

  • Assessing Previous Year Cash Flow

For businesses new to assigning percentages to their budget, conducting a retrospective review of previous years’ budgets and financial statements is highly recommended. This analysis helps calculate percentages for various expense categories, providing a quick reference while setting financial goals and monitoring progress.

  • Planning for Next Year’s Business Needs

When determining the percentages for budget categories, it is crucial to consider business history, profit and loss statements, anticipated sales revenue, industry trends, market factors, and price fluctuations from vendors. These factors will help businesses make informed decisions about allocating budget percentages.

Typical Allocation Percentage Guidelines

CategoryDescriptionRecommended Percentage Range
Operating ExpensesConsist of ongoing costs necessary for running a business, not directly related to production.Not exceeding 30% of total revenue
RentFixed costs associated with lease payments.Varies by industry; typically ranges from less than 1% to more than 13% of revenue
Variable CostsFluctuating expenses such as utility bills, credit card fees, and meals.Analyze previous spending for baseline percentage allocation and monitor as needed
SalaryThe cost of employee compensation, a significant portion of operating costs.Benchmark industry standards; generally between 15% and 30% of gross revenue

How Operating Expenses Affect Profit

Operating expenses are ongoing costs incurred from running a business that are not directly related to production. An increase in any type of business expense typically lowers profit. Operating expenses can be targeted for cost-cutting measures, as they are often more flexible compared to costs related to manufacturing or fixed expenses. Strategies such as outsourcing, remote work, salary reductions, and automation can help reduce operating expenses.

Average Business Expense Percentages

  1. General Expense Percentage

Determining an average expense percentage for small businesses is challenging due to variations across industries, products, and services. As a general benchmark, expenses as a percentage of revenue often range around 90%, with 95% percent indicating potential inefficiencies and 80% percent reflecting good expense management.

  1. Expense Percentages by Industry

Expense percentages can vary significantly by industry. For example:

  • Construction: 95% of revenue goes to expenses and taxes, leaving 5% profit.
  • Hotels and accommodation: 92% of revenue goes to expenses and taxes, leaving 8% profit.
  • Restaurants: 85% of revenue goes to expenses and taxes, leaving 15% profit.
  • Retail: 95% of revenue goes to expenses and taxes, leaving 5% profit.
  • Transportation: 81% of revenue goes to expenses and taxes, leaving 9% profit.
  • Accountants and bookkeepers: 82% of revenue goes to expenses and taxes, leaving 18% profit.
  • Attorneys and legal services: 83% of revenue goes to expenses and taxes, leaving 17% profit.
  • Real estate agents: 85% of revenue goes to expenses and taxes, leaving 15% profit.
  • Physicians: 86% of revenue goes to expenses and taxes, leaving 14% profit.
  • Grocery stores: 97.5% of revenue goes to expenses and taxes, leaving 2.5% profit.
  • Manufacturing: 65% of revenue goes to expenses and taxes, leaving 35% profit.
  • Technology: 50% of revenue goes to expenses and taxes, leaving 50% profit.

Specific industries may have different benchmarks for expense percentages.

Optimizing the Expense Ratio for Businesses

Irrespective of the industry, there are several effective strategies that businesses can adopt to minimize their expense ratio and maximize net profits:

Leverage Technology: Utilizing technology to streamline processes and reduce manual efforts can result in significant cost savings. Implementing accounting software, project management tools, and other relevant technologies can improve efficiency and lead to long-term cost reductions.

Cost Optimization: Regularly analyze all expenses to pinpoint potential cost-saving opportunities. By negotiating better deals with suppliers, exploring bulk purchasing options, and implementing efficient inventory management systems, businesses can effectively manage costs.

Measure Marketing ROI: Monitoring the return on investment (ROI) of marketing and advertising campaigns is vital. Ensuring that marketing expenses generate desired results involves focusing on high-impact marketing channels and strategies with the best ROI.

Enhance Operational Efficiency: Streamlining business operations is crucial to eliminate unnecessary expenses and boost productivity. Through automation, outsourcing non-core activities, and optimizing workflows, businesses can significantly reduce costs while maintaining or even improving the quality of their products or services.

Optimize Workforce Management: Evaluating staffing needs and assessing employee productivity are key steps to achieve an optimal workforce size. Avoiding both overstaffing and understaffing is essential, as it impacts expenses and customer satisfaction.

Understanding Business Expenses and Profit Margins

Profit margins and expenses have a direct relationship in determining overall profitability. Three key profit margins to consider are:

  1. Gross Profit Margin: Accounts for the cost of goods sold (COGS) and directly relates to production costs. Factors in the cost to make an item or provide a service, including material costs, manufacturing costs, and salaries directly involved in production.
  2. Operating Profit Margin: Includes operational expenses not directly related to production, such as logistics, distribution, and administrative costs. 
  3. Net Profit Margin: Deducts non-operating expenses (e.g., taxes, interest) from operating profit to calculate the final bottom line.

Difference in the calculation of operating expenses and profit

Operating expenses and profit are fundamental financial metrics used to evaluate the financial health and performance of a business. They are key components of a company’s income statement, also known as the profit and loss statement.

Operating Expenses:

Operating expenses are the costs incurred by a company to maintain its regular business operations and generate revenue. These expenses are essential for day-to-day business activities and are not directly related to the production of goods or services. Operating expenses can vary depending on the nature of the business but typically include items such as:

  1. Salaries and wages: The compensation paid to employees for their services.
  2. Rent and utilities: The costs associated with leasing office or production space and utilities like electricity, water, and internet.
  3. Office supplies: Expenses for items necessary for conducting business operations like stationery and printer ink.
  4. Marketing and advertising: Costs related to promoting the company’s products or services to attract customers.
  5. Insurance: Premiums paid to cover the company against potential risks and liabilities.
  6. Maintenance and repairs: Expenditures for the upkeep of equipment, machinery, and facilities.
  7. Depreciation and amortization: The allocation of the cost of long-term assets over their useful lives.
  8. Travel and entertainment: Expenses related to business-related travel and client entertainment.

To calculate operating expenses, add up all the above relevant expenses incurred during a specific accounting period.


Profit, also known as “net income” or “earnings,” represents the amount of money a company retains after deducting all expenses, including operating expenses, from its total revenue. It is a critical metric that indicates how efficiently a company operates and whether it is generating value for its shareholders.

There are three types of profit metrics commonly used:

a. Gross Profit: Gross profit is the revenue generated from sales minus the direct costs of goods sold (COGS). It reflects the profitability of a company’s core business activities.

Gross Profit = Revenue – Cost of Goods Sold

b. Operating Profit: Operating profit is the profit earned from the company’s normal business operations, excluding non-operating income and expenses such as interest and taxes.

Operating Profit = Gross Profit – Operating Expenses

c. Net Profit: Net profit represents the final profit after deducting all expenses, including operating expenses, interest, taxes, and any other non-operating expenses.

Net Profit = Operating Profit – Interest Expense – Tax Expense – Non-operating Expenses

Importance of Using the Expense Ratio in Your Business

Implementing the Expense Ratio Rule in your business can bring several significant benefits. Let’s explore why using the expense ratio is essential for your overall business success:

  • Financial Visibility and Control: The expense ratio provides a clear picture of how your revenue is allocated across various expense categories. By tracking and analyzing these ratios, you gain visibility into your financial health. This allows you to identify areas of overspending or inefficiency, enabling you to take proactive measures to control costs and maximize profitability.
  • Informed Decision Making: When you have a solid understanding of your expense ratios, you can make informed decisions regarding resource allocation. The ratio acts as a guide, helping you prioritize expenses and allocate funds where they will have the most significant impact. It empowers you to make strategic choices that align with your business goals and optimize financial outcomes.
  • Performance Evaluation: The expense ratio serves as a benchmark for evaluating your business’s financial performance over time. By comparing current ratios with historical data, you can assess your progress, identify trends, and measure the effectiveness of cost-saving initiatives. This evaluation enables you to make data-driven decisions, adjust your budget as needed, and continuously improve your financial performance.
  • Profitability and Cash Flow Management: One of the primary goals of the Expense Ratio Rule is to prioritize profit allocation. By reserving a specific percentage of revenue for profit, you ensure the long-term financial sustainability of your business. Profitability is the lifeblood of any organization, providing the necessary resources for growth, investment, and resilience. Additionally, managing your expense ratios helps optimize cash flow by ensuring that expenses do not outweigh revenue, allowing you to maintain a healthy balance.
  • Adaptability and Scalability: As your business evolves and expands, the expense ratio provides a scalable framework for financial management. It allows you to adjust expense allocations based on changing business needs, market conditions, and growth strategies. By maintaining a flexible expense structure, you can adapt to new opportunities, invest in strategic initiatives, and optimize resources to support your business’s long-term success.
  • Investor and Lender Confidence:  Using the expense ratio demonstrates your commitment to financial discipline and prudent expense management. This can enhance the confidence of potential investors or lenders in your business. When stakeholders see that you have a well-defined budgeting process and prioritize profitability, they are more likely to view your business as financially stable and worthy of investment or credit.


Effectively managing business expenses and optimizing budget percentages are vital for profitability and growth. By considering industry benchmarks, customizing budget categories, and employing strategies like the Profit First methodology, businesses can make informed decisions about expense allocation. Analyzing profit and expense percentages provides valuable insights into the financial health of a business, allowing for improved financial planning and long-term sustainability.

photo source: Google

Share this article:
Article and News Disclaimer

The information provided on is for general informational purposes only. While we strive to keep the information up to date and accurate, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability, or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk. is not responsible for any errors or omissions, or for the results obtained from the use of this information. All information on the website is provided on an "as-is" basis, with no guarantee of completeness, accuracy, timeliness, or of the results obtained from the use of this information, and without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including but not limited to warranties of performance, merchantability, and fitness for a particular purpose.

In no event will be liable to you or anyone else for any decision made or action taken in reliance on the information provided on the website or for any consequential, special, or similar damages, even if advised of the possibility of such damages.

The articles, news, and information presented on reflect the opinions of the respective authors and contributors and do not necessarily represent the views of the website or its management. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the individual authors and do not represent the website's views or opinions as a whole.

The content on may include links to external websites, which are provided for convenience and informational purposes only. We have no control over the nature, content, and availability of those sites. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorsement of the views expressed within them.

Every effort is made to keep the website up and running smoothly. However, takes no responsibility for, and will not be liable for, the website being temporarily unavailable due to technical issues beyond our control.

Please note that laws, regulations, and information can change rapidly, and we advise you to conduct further research and seek professional advice when necessary.

By using, you agree to this disclaimer and its terms. If you do not agree with this disclaimer, please do not use the website., reserves the right to update, modify, or remove any part of this disclaimer without prior notice. It is your responsibility to review this disclaimer periodically for changes.

Serrari Group 2023